back to top
Download the ComplaintHub App
Download the ComplaintHub App

CPUC Hotline: File a Consumer Complaint Against Utility Companies to California Public Utility Commission


Did not find any solution? Ask your questions, complaints, or queries in Complaint Hub Citizen Community, we will help you.

Leave A Review

Quality of service
Customer Service

The California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) is a state agency that regulates privately owned public utilities in California, such as electric power, natural gas, telecommunications, water, and transportation companies.

Consumers can register a complaint against any utility company or road transport services about issues with their utility service, such as public safety hazards, service quality, billing disputes, unauthorized service charges, or fraud. The CPUC will investigate and resolve the complaints, or refer them to the appropriate agency. Consumers can also comment on any CPUC proceeding or issue that affects them.

Residents of California can also access this assistance:

  • Late bill disputes: Consumers who have fallen behind on their utility bills can request the CPUC to help them negotiate a payment plan with their utility company, or apply for a disconnection moratorium if they meet certain criteria.
  • Financial aid: Consumers who have low income or special needs may qualify for various programs that offer discounts or subsidies on their utility bills, such as the California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE), the Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA), the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), or the Lifeline program. ¹
  • Other consumer programs and services: The CPUC also offers various programs and services that may benefit consumers, such as energy efficiency, renewable energy, demand response, broadband access, transportation accessibility, and wildfire mitigation.

Consumer Affairs Branch, CPUC (California)

The Consumer Affairs Branch (CAB) is a division of the California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) that helps consumers with questions or complaints about their regulated utility services. The CAB supports the CPUC by providing complaint data to assist the CPUC decision-makers and inform the public.

Consumers can also get assistance with utility bills, language, and filing a complaint against the private utility company.

If your issues with a utility company remain unresolved to your satisfaction or if you have an outstanding complaint, you can file a complaint with the Consumer Affairs Branch (CAB) of the relevant regulatory commission.

Required details for filing a utility complaint:

  • Utility Provider: [Utility Company’s Name]
  • Customer’s Name, Phone
  • Mailing Address (Authorized)
  • [Utility Company’s] Account Number
  • Service Address with Physical Location
  • Area Code and Relevant Phone Number
  • Complaint Details with Evidence Chronological Dispute Information (Dates, Charges, Safety Concerns)
  • [Utility Company’s] Response with Case/Reference Number (if applicable)
  • Commission’s Original Case Number (if already submitted)

File a complaint

Official details of California Public Utilities Commission to file a utility complaint:

Department Consumer Affairs Branch, CPUC (California)
Online Webform File a complaint online
Phone No. +18006497570; +18008485580
Fax 1-4157031158
Mailing Address California Public Utilities Commission, Consumer Affairs Branch, 505 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102–3298.

Note – To check the status of your submitted complaints to CPUC, click here (

Filing a Formal Complaint

If your informal complaint remains unresolved or you’re still dissatisfied, you have the option to “submit a formal complaint” against Utility Companies through e-filing with the California Public Utility Commission.

For assistance and information regarding the e-filing process at no cost, please reach out to the CPUC’s Public Advisor’s Office via email at or call their toll-free number at +18668498390.

Please note: If you want to complain about CPUC services or officials, “Contact the CPUC” to make a complaint or comment online.

Utility Companies

You can file a complaint to the CPUC against any private utility company that is regulated by the CPUC, such as:

  • Electric utilities: Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E), Southern California Edison (SCE), San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E), Liberty Utilities, PacifiCorp, and Bear Valley Electric Service.
  • Natural gas utilities: PG&E, SoCalGas, SDG&E, Southwest Gas, and West Coast Gas.
  • Telecommunications utilities: AT&T California, Frontier California, Consolidated Communications, Cox California Telcom, Comcast Phone of California, and various other local exchange carriers, interexchange carriers, wireless carriers, and voice-over-internet protocol (VoIP) providers.
  • Water utilities: California American Water Company, California Water Service Company, Golden State Water Company, San Jose Water Company, Suburban Water Systems, and various other Class A, B, C, and D water companies.
  • Transportation utilities: Household goods movers, limousines, rideshare services, self-driving cars, railroads, rail transit, and passenger transportation companies.


First published on:


The information is verified by the sources as mentioned in the reference section. All the effort is to provide accurate and trustable details in each category. If you have found any discripancy or wrong data of particular post, please report us. Use these details as per your awareness. Complaint Hub Group is not liable for any loss or unexpected incident due to usage of data of the posts. Always use our data within guidelines and don't violate our Terms of Use conditions.

You can talk to us easily! Just go to our Contact Us page and send us a message. Or you can email us at Support - We'll get back to you and help you with your problems so you can solve them faster.


User Reviews (0)

Be first to provide review, share your opinion.


Overall (0 out of 5)

Leave A Review

Quality of service
Customer Service