Download the ComplaintHub App
Download the ComplaintHub App

PG&E Energy Hotline: How to File a Complaint to Pacific Gas and Electric Company?


Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) is a major American energy company that was established in 1905. It is headquartered in Oakland, California, and is a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation. It is serving electricity & natural gas to about 16 million people in northern and central California. PG&E is regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) since 1911.

Currently, it operates a complex network of electric and gas lines that cover 70,000 square miles of service area in California. More than 5.5 million electric customers and 4.5 million gas customers rely on its services for their energy needs.

Regions where PG&E serves in the US:

  • Eureka in the north to Bakersfield in the south
  • Pacific Ocean in the west to the Sierra Nevada in the east

Cities in California where electricity & gas is being served:

1. North California:

  • Alameda
  • Alpine
  • Amador
  • Butte
  • Calaveras
  • Colusa
  • Del Norte
  • El Dorado
  • Glenn
  • Humboldt
  • Inyo
  • Lake
  • Lassen
  • Madera
  • Marin
  • Mariposa
  • Mendocino
  • Modoc
  • Napa
  • Nevada
  • Placer
  • Plumas
  • Shasta
  • Sierra
  • Siskiyou
  • Sonoma
  • Tehama
  • Trinity
  • Tuolumne
  • Yolo
  • Yuba

2. Central California:

  • Fresno
  • Kern
  • Kings
  • Merced
  • Monterey
  • San Benito
  • San Joaquin
  • Stanislaus
  • Tulare

3. South California:

  • Contra Costa
  • Sacramento
  • San Bernardino
  • San Francisco
  • San Luis Obispo
  • San Mateo
  • Santa Barbara
  • Santa Clara
  • Santa Cruz
  • Solano

Levels of energy complaint redressal:

  • Level 1: Customer Service, PG&E
  • Level 2: California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)

Want to make a complaint to PG&E about electricity/gas? Yes! You can call the energy customer service number to report issues like power outages, gas supply disruptions, or billing disputes. Additionally, file your electricity or natural gas complaint online to PG&E to resolve the problem.

Not resolved or dissatisfied with the final resolution of PG&E? You can file an energy complaint against PG&E to the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) by referring the disputed matter of electricity/gas.

Level 1: Customer Service, Pacific Gas and Electric Company

At level 1, customers including residential, small & medium businesses, and large businesses can register a complaint about the power and gas supply to Pacific Gas and Electricity Company by contacting customer service.

It deals with issues such as:

  • Billing
  • Service requests
  • Power outages
  • Downed power lines
  • Disrupted natural gas
  • Gas leakages
  • Power failure
  • Defected electric equipements
  • Emergencies

Three methods that you can use to lodge your energy complaint are:

  • PG&E customer care number (Hotline)
  • Online complaint registration
  • Visit the nearest regional PG&E Office

PG&E Customer Service Number

Raise your concerns by dialing the PGE hotline or customer care number for residential and business connections. While submitting an electricity or gas complaint, provide the following details:

  • Account number (PG&E)
  • Location of the issue (for downline)
  • Pole/Light number (for streetlight)
  • Description of the power or natural gas complaint with relevant facts

Official PGE Energy Hotline and Customer Service Number to Make a Power & Gas Complaint:

1. Residential Customers

PG&E Support: Power & Gas Customer Service Number
PG&E complaint number 18007435000
PGE residential customer service number 18776606789
Power outage hotline 18007435002
Smart Meter complaints (inquiry) 18667430263
Report a Scam to PG&E (Helpline) 18335007226 (SCAM)
Update customer contact information with PG&E 18667436589
Toll-free number (PG&E Gas pipeline inquiry) 18007435000
Pay bill by Phone (PGE Hotline) 18777048470
Email (Scam)
PG&E Claims hotline 18778738246
Email (customers with disability)

NoteNot resolved within the given resolution period or dissatisfied? You can file a public utility complaint against PG&E to the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) at level 2 for electricity or gas disputes.

2. Solar & Energy Efficiency

PG&E Support: Solar Customer Care Number
PG&E Solar Hotline 18777434112
Smarter Energy Line Customer Service 18009339555
Solar Choice Community Program 18777438429

3. Business Customers

PGE Support: Business Center Customer Care Number
PG&E Business Customer Service Number 18004684743
Commercial business deposits 18005110374
Report Power/ Gas Outage 18004684743
Agricultural Service Center (Hotline) 18773113276 (FARM)
Energy efficiency (EE) and rebate helpline 18009339555
Building and Renovation Service Center 18777437782
Diablo Canyon Power Plant Contact No. 18055465292

Report wildlife fires or downed power lines on the PGE Hotline 18779000PGE (743) for wildlife safety. Also, claim the compensation using the PG&E claim customer service number or online form.

4. Assistance for Low-Income Customers

PGE Support: Assistance (Low-Income) Customer Care Number
California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) 18667432273
Low-Income Home Energy Hotline 18666756623
Energy Savings Assistance Program Hotline 18009339555
Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) 18007435000
Assistance Program (LIHEAP) 18009339677

File a Complaint Online

Customers of PGE can also complain online about power & gas services to get faster redressal. Additionally, residents can claim the monetary loss or overbilling including erroneous bills, extra charges, and wrong readings.

Categories to File an online energy complaint with PG&E
Categories to File an online energy complaint with PG&E (source –
File Power/Gas Complaint Online to PG&E Submit online
Report power outage online Report now
Report gas leakage or downed power line Click Here
Start or stop a PG&E service online Click Here
PGE Streetlight outage complaint form Submit now
Email (for PwD customers)

Note Still not resolved or dissatisfied with the response? Escalate the complaint to the next authorized officer or lodge an energy complaint to the California Public Utilities Commission.

Alternative Channels:

Twitter @PGE4Me
Facebook @pacificgasandelectric
Mobile App PG&E Report it
Android | iOS

Other online services of PGE to lodge a complaint or claim related to utility & energy services are mentioned below.

1. Submit a Claim

Required Documentation by PG&E for Different Claim Types:

  • Property Damage: Provide detailed repair estimates/invoices or purchase records.
  • Personal Injury: Submit medical records and receipts.
  • Lost Wages: Include the duration of work incapacity due to injury, employer verification, and payroll stubs displaying the pay rate.
  • Lost Revenues: Furnish tax records, bank statements, payroll, revenue/expense statements, and sales receipts.
  • Miscellaneous Losses: Attach receipts for hotel, restaurant, and car rental expenses.
  • Food Spoilage: Present an itemized list of spoiled perishable food costs with receipts. Follow USDA guidelines for evaluation.
Submit a claim online to PGE File a claim
PG&E claim form Download (pdf)
PG&E Claims Hotline 18778738246, 4159734548 (query)

Note: Compensation for time spent pursuing the claim is not applicable.

Alternative way to file a claim for compensation from PG&E:

Designation Law Claims Department, PG&E
Fax No. 9254597326
Mailing Address Pacific Gas and Electric Company, Attn: Law Claims Department, 300 Lakeside Drive, Oakland, CA 94612.

2. Energy Theft

Report Energy Theft Online to PGE Report now
Energy Theft Hotline 18008546250

3. Report Scam

Report a Scam/Fraud Online to PGE Report now
PG&E Scam Hotline 18335007226


Want to apply online for a new connection of PG&E for Electricity or Natural Gas in California? Access these services online by registering your account using your Social Security Number (for residential customers) or Tax ID number (for business).

PG&E Online Services Register/Apply
Start your PG&E residential service Apply now
Small & Medium Business Connection Click Here
Large Business PGE services Click to Access Online

Level 2: California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)

Pacific Gas and Electric Company is regulated by the California Public Utility Commission (CPUC). So, If your issues with PG&E remain unresolved to your satisfaction or have an outstanding complaint, file a complaint against PGE with the Consumer Affairs Branch (CAB) of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC).

Required details for filing a utility complaint to CPUC:

  1. Utility Provider: Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E)
  2. Customer’s Name, Phone, Mailing Address (Authorized)
  3. PG&E Account Number
  4. Service Address with Physical Location
  5. Area Code and Relevant Phone Number
  6. Complaint Details with Evidence
  7. Chronological Dispute Information (Dates, Charges, Safety Concerns)
  8. PGE Response with Case/Reference Number (if applicable)
  9. Commission’s Original Case Number (if already submitted)

Official details of California Public Utilities Commission to file an energy complaint against PG&E:

Department Consumer Affairs Branch, CPUC (California)
Online Webform File a complaint online
Phone No. +18006497570
Fax 1-4157031158
Mailing Address California Public Utilities Commission, Consumer Affairs Branch, 505 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102–3298.

NoteIf your informal complaint remains unresolved or you’re still dissatisfied, you have the option to submit a formal complaint against PG&E through e-filing with the California Public Utility Commission.

For assistance and information regarding the e-filing process at no cost, please reach out to the CPUC’s Public Advisor’s Office via email at or call their toll-free number at +18668498390.

If you have unresolved disputes and want to take legal action against the Pacific Gas and Electric Company, you may file a case with either the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) or the Small Claims Court (legal counsel may be necessary).

Alternatively, you may choose arbitration or mediation with the utility provider PG&E. If interested, you can proceed to adopt an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) or send a Notice of Dispute Resolution to the legal department of the company.

1. Start an Arbitration

You can use the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) option with the support of the California Public Utility Commission by initiating a formal complaint against PG&E. This service is provided free of charge to all consumers utilizing public utilities.

Download: Formal Complaint Form, CPUC

1. Alternative Dispute Resolution Program, CPUC:

For this, get in touch with the CPUC through the Alternative Dispute Resolution Program to start negotiations, mediation, and early neutral evaluation for the resolution of your electric or gas utility dispute with PG&E.

2. Send a Notice of Dispute:

Alternatively, you may also submit a Notice of Dispute to the legal department of Pacific Gas and Electric Company, providing the reasons for your dissatisfaction with the resolution or the details of your unresolved dispute. Following this, you can engage in negotiations with the company through its internal dispute resolution process.

Note – If you are dissatisfied or the dispute remains unresolved, you can consider taking legal action against PG&E through the appropriate legal regulatory bodies or consumer courts.

2. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)

If PG&E violates any regulatory laws and rules governing utility services as notified by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), you should file a complaint with FERC, providing supporting evidence or factual information.

ClickFERC Dispute Resolution Service (DRS)

The issue may involve a violation of tariff rules, charges, or unfair business practices by Pacific Gas and Electric Company. To submit your complaint, follow the information:

Contact Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
Phone No. 8662083372 (General Info), 18888898030 (Enforcement)
FERC Office Click Here

3. Small Claims Court

If your dispute remains unresolved through the provided resolution channels, do not worry. As a last resort, you have the option to initiate a lawsuit or file a case against the electric utility company Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) within the Small Claims Court or the appropriate legal court.

Before pursuing legal action against PG&E, it is advisable to seek legal counsel or consultation from an attorney experienced in utility regulation. Consulting with legal professionals can assist you in effectively presenting your case, understanding the relevant legal statutes and regulations, and navigating potential legal challenges with ease.

Utility Concerns

Report to address these matters with a focus on the utility services provided by PG&E, ensuring a smoother resolution process for consumers.

  1. PG&E Power Supply Issues:
    • Power Outages (weather, equipment, maintenance, accidents)
    • Voltage Fluctuations (over/under-voltage)
    • Weather-related outages (storms, wildfires, power line issues)
    • Grid Overload and Equipment Failures
    • Power Surges (utility switching, faulty wiring)
    • Frequency Variations (grid, faulty generators)
    • Brownouts and Blackouts
  2. PG&E Natural Gas Distribution:
    • Natural Gas Supply Interruptions
    • Gas Leaks and Odor Concerns
    • Equipment Problems
  3. Meter and Utility Services:
    • Faulty Meters (inaccurate billing)
    • Meter Reading Errors (discrepancies)
    • Service Quality Issues (voltage, power quality)
    • Connection Problems (intermittent supply, flickering lights)
    • Connection/Disconnection Issues (delays, disputes)
  4. Energy Bills, Payments, and Rebates:
    • Billing Errors (miscalculations)
    • Payment Problems (online, transaction)
    • Bill Disputes (overcharges, disagreements)
    • Tariff and Rate Disputes (fairness, transparency)
    • Renewable Energy Concerns
  5. Safety and Other Utility Issues:
    • Safety Concerns (exposed wiring, damaged equipment)
    • Vegetation Interference (trees near power lines)
    • Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS)
    • Grid Maintenance and Upgrades
    • Human Error and Accidents

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q. What is the customer service number of PG&E to submit an electric/power complaint?
A. Dial the outage hotline at 18007435002 or contact PG&E customer care at 18007435000 to report your concerns about electric utility services. To report online scams, fraud, or cybercrime, email PG&E at as soon as possible.

Q. What can I do if my complaints are not resolved by the customer service of Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E)?
A. Initially, attempt to contact PG&E’s senior customer service. If your electric utility complaints remain unresolved or you are dissatisfied with the response, consider filing an informal or formal complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), providing comprehensive details of the dispute and relevant facts.

Q. Where can I turn to if my submitted complaint is not resolved or if I am unsatisfied with the final response from CPUC regarding PG&E?
A. In such circumstances:

  • First, you can initiate arbitration through Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) with the assistance of CPUC’s ADR program or by sending a Notice of Dispute to PG&E. Additionally, you have the option to file a formal complaint with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) to address your dispute through the Dispute Resolution Service (DRS).
  • Secondly, you may consider pursuing legal action against PG&E within the Small Claims Court or the appropriate judicial body by filing a lawsuit with the guidance of your legal counsel. Before taking this step, it is advisable to seek advice from a legal expert to explore all available alternatives for negotiating or resolving your disputed case.

Q. How can I monitor power outages in my area?
A. You can receive alerts for power outages or “check the outage status” of the energy supply in your region. If power is not restored within the specified timeframe, report the outage online to PG&E or visit the nearest regional office.

Please note that the use of legal terms may vary depending on the specific context of your complaint and its legal implications.


First published on:


The information is verified by the sources as mentioned in the reference section. All the effort is to provide accurate and trustable details in each category. If you have found any discripancy or wrong data of particular post, please report us. Use these details as per your awareness. Complaint Hub Group is not liable for any loss or unexpected incident due to usage of data of the posts. Always use our data within guidelines and don't violate our Terms of Use conditions.

You can talk to us easily! Just go to our Contact Us page and send us a message. Or you can email us at Support - We'll get back to you and help you with your problems so you can solve them faster.


User Reviews (0)

Be first to provide review, share your opinion.


Overall (0 out of 5)

Leave a review

Quality of service
Customer Service